In memory of Johnny Peret

In memory of Johnny Peret
In memory of my friend Johnny Peret, vibist, drummer, accordeonist extraordinaire

Friday, August 2, 2013

NORTH ATLANTIC JAZZ

Jazz I Føroyum 3
LP Tutl – HJF 9, Faroe Islands, 1982

This album is the third in a three LP series documenting the Faroese Jazz scene in the 80s.  It caught my attention because of its origin. The Faroe Islands is not a place usually associated with Jazz.  As a matter of fact I realize I know very little about the Faroe Islands, I’m much more familiar with islands in the Caribbean, the Indian Ocean and the Pacific than with those in the Northern Atlantic.  The other thing that caught my interest was the presence of two better known musicians:  Eero Koivistoinen on two tracks and Karsten Vogel (Burning Red Ivanhoe / Secret Oyster) on one.

The Koivistoinen tracks are duos with guitarist Olavur Oster.

The track with Karsten Vogel is somewhat prog rock oriented and should be of interest to fans of Scandinavian fusion / prog.  The title “Grindadrap” refers to the traditional whaling practiced in the Faroes.

Pianist Kristian Blak (Yggdrasil) appears also on three tracks.



Tracklist
A1       Wolf    4:30
Guitar – Ólavur Øster
Soprano Saxophone – Eero Koivistoinen

A2       And Then        3:09
Guitar – Ólavur Øster
Tenor Saxophone – Eero Koivistoinen

A3       Bollabossa      3:02
Bass – Kolbein Simonsen
Drums – Jan Jacobsen
Guitar – Ólavur Øster
Piano – Kristian Blak

A4       Andvekur       2:45
Bass – Kolbein Simonsen
Drums – Jan Jacobsen
Guitar – Ólavur Øster
Piano – Kristian Blak

B1       Fotalag                       4:03
Bass – J. Á Rógvu Joensen*
Drums – Poul Strøm
Guitar – Hans Bøgh Andersen
Piano – Kjeld Køngerskov
Tenor Saxophone – Olaf Sørensen

B2       Pigen I 3d       5:17
Bass – J. Á Rógvu Joensen*
Drums – Poul Strøm
Guitar – Hans Bøgh Andersen
Piano – Torben Kjær
Tenor Saxophone – Olaf Sørensen

B3       Grindadrap    10:35
Alto Saxophone – Karsten Vogel
Bass – J. Á Rógvu Joensen*
Drums – Poul Strøm
Guitar – Ólavur Øster
Piano – Torben Kjær

Recorded between 1978 - 81, Tórshavns Jazz Club, Faroe Islands.

Jazz I Føroyum 3 is the third in a series of joint releases by Havnar Jazz-Felag and Platufelagid Tutl. The Jazz I Føroyum recordings provide the listener with a sampling of music played in Havnar Jazzfelag by both local artists and visiting musicians.

I have volumes 1 and 2 also which I may post later on when I get a chance to digitalize them.

5 comments:

  1. http://www.mirrorcreator.com/files/1Z1IIGSH/Jazz_I_F__royum_3.rar_links

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is everybody on holiday? Or is the music not your cup of tea?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just found your blog for the first time. VERY interesting stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is excellent stuff. Thanks! Are you still planning on posting the first two volumes?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad someone likes it. I may post the two other volumes but not before a few months as I'm overseas and the records are in Brussels. I'll rip them during my next holiday. Patience!
      Cheers

      Delete