Jazz Gala Concert ‘76
Jazz Gala Big Band Orchestra
conducted by Peter Herbolzheimer (LP Atlantic, 1976)
"The Jazz-Gala-Concerts took place in West-Germany from 18 thru 23 January, 1976, enjoying live-audiences in Hamburg, Hannover, Düsseldorf, Frankfurt and Wiesbaden.
In a sort of co-production, Second-Channel TV-(ZDF) jazzproducer Reinhardt Knieper commissioned Hamburg's bookingagency Karste Jahnke to ask composer-arranger-bandleader Peter Herbolzheimer to organize an All Star Bigband and - since it was the opener for a regular TV jazz-series - use prominent international talent suitable, and available. Thus, an accumulation of famous jazz musicians became reality, a jazzfan's dream, with musicians which normally fill halls on their own.
Some of the most remarkable highlights (composer-arranger-soloists-credits see inside the cover) and experiences of this tour were the reunion of the famous Gerry Mulligan-Art Farmer frontline, the successful vocal performance of the fantastic drummer Grady Tate, Stan "the man" Getz in a nowadays rare bigband surrounding, Nat Adderley and his jazz-evergreens, the unique trombone of Albert Mangelsdorff and the unique trombone artistry of Slide Hampton, the social and musical consensus of everybody taking part.
In all - this LP is a document of contemporary (i.e. 70s) big band-jazz which will last for a long time. "
Jazz Gala Big Band Orchestra conducted by Peter Herbolzheimer
Trumpets: Rick Kiefer, Ron Simmonds, Derek Watkins, Ack van Rooyen, Art Farmer
Woodwinds: Herb Geller, Ferdinand Povel, Johnny Griffin, Wilton Gaynair, James Towsey
Trombones. Jiggs Whigham, Otto Bredl, Slide Hampton, Albert Mangelsdorf, Peter Herbolzheimer
Guitar: Volker Kriegel
Keyboards. Wolfgang Dauner
Bass. Niels-Henning Orstedt Pedersen
Drums: Grady Tate. Alex Riel (Moondance, Gentle Mood) Percussion: Nippy Noya Alex Riel
Guest Soloists: Nat Adderley (Cornet), Stan Getz (Tenor Sax) Gerry Mulligan (Baritone Sax), Jean "Toots" Thielemans (Harmonica)
Tracks & details of soloists
1. Blues In My Shoes 4:33 Music and arranged by Peter Herbolzheimer Soloist: Johnny Griffin, Tenor Sax.
2. Song For Strayhorn 4:15 Music and arranged by Gerry Mulligan Soloist: Gerry Mulligan. Baritone Sax
3. Festive Minor 5:34 Music and arranged by Gerry Mulligan. Soloists: Art Farmer, Flugelhorn Gerry Mulligan. Baritone Sax
Niels-Henning Orstedt Pedersen, Bass
4. Brown Ballad 3:55 Music by Ray Brown, arranged by Quincy Jones. Soloist: Jean "Toots" Thielemans, Harmonica
5. Moondance 4:14 Music by Van Morrison arranged by Peter Herbolzheimer Soloists: Grady Tate, Vocal, ' Wilton Gaynair, Tenor Sax.
1. Times Lie 3:52 Music by Chick Corea, arranged by Peter Herbolzheimer Soloist: Stan Getz, Tenor Sax
2. Gentle Mood 7:22 Music and arranged by Peter Herbolzheimer. Soloists: Volker Kriegel, Guitar, Ferdinand Povel, Alto Sax , Ack van Rooyen, Flugelhorn.
3. The Up And Down Man 3:53 Music by Albert Mangelsdorff, Soloist: Albert Mangelsdodf, Trombone
4. Jive Samba 3:53 Music by Nat Adderley, arranged by Peter Herbolzheimer. Soloist: Nat Adderley, Cornet
5. Work Song 3:43 Music by Nat Adderley arranged by Peter Herbolzheimer, Soloist: Slide Hampton, Trombone
Recorded live 1/18/76 Hannover. - 1/23/76 Wiesbaden