In memory of Johnny Peret

In memory of Johnny Peret
In memory of my friend Johnny Peret, vibist, drummer, accordeonist extraordinaire

Monday, July 15, 2013

BACK TO THE BLUES!

SAM LAY IN BLUESLAND
Blue Thumb, USA, 1970

 Great rare blues LP

I haven’t posted a real blues album for a long while.  Blues music was my first musical love affair.  And close to fifty years later, I’m still in love with the Blues.  The blues paved the way for my discovery of rhythm & blues, soul, funk and jazz.

If it wasn't for the blues, I'd be nowhere, musically speaking.  And all that because of a few British white boys called The Stones, The Animals, The Yardbirds ...  They opened a door for me, they introduced me to Jimmy Reed, Howlin' Wolf, Muddy Waters, Elmore  ...

Here is a long-forgotten, never re-issued album by great blues drummer SAM LAY (Howlin’ Wolf band, Muddy Waters, Butterfield Blues Band a.o.).
There is no mention of the musicians in the sleeve notes.  

Based on aural and historical evidences, the following line-up is usually suggested :

Sam Lay : Vocals & Drums
Mike Bloomfield : Guitar  (not credited)
Nick Gravenites : Vocals
Mark Naftalin : Piano, organ  
Jerome Arnold ??? : Bass (not credited)
Paul Butterfield ??? : Harmonica   (not credited)

Side 1
01. Maggie's Farm (5.20)
02. Mean Mistreater (4.32)
03. Sam Lay & Mississipi John (5.05)
04. Crying For My Baby (3.25)

Side 2
01. Sloopy Drunk (3.15)
02. My Fault (3.59)
03. Roll Over Beethoven (2.50)
04. Asked Her For Water (7.30) - Vocals by Nick Gravenites
05. I Got My Mojo Workin' (3.24)

Recorded in November 1969 in San Francisco.  Produced by Nick Gravenites & Mike Bloomfield.

8 comments:

  1. Part 1: http://www.mirrorcreator.com/files/0LGJZR6T/SLinBLpart1.rar_links
    Part 2:
    http://www.mirrorcreator.com/files/KUOF4GR2/SLinBLpart2.rar_links
    WAV files. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, you've made me very happy (heard this somewhere ...) Roberto

      Delete
  2. One more comment... found this on the web

    SAM LAY in BLUES LAND

    Lay, d, v; Michael Bloomfield, g; Jack Walroth, hca; Mark Naftalin, org, p; unknown b; Bob Jones, g(?)

    San Francisco, CA; November 1969

    Hope it helps, Roberto



    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for posting this gem. I'm a long time fan of all the musicians playing on this. Hoping its really Mike Bloomfield on slide guitar.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ..Thank You!..Quite possibly the ONLY appearance of this incredible LP ANYWHERE on the Internet!..Some of Mike Bloomfield's sweetest blues guitar ever, much appreciated..Cheers! Beega in Florida

    ReplyDelete
  5. i just scored this fantastic lp today at one of my favorite record stores, rooky ricardo's in san francisco. thank you for posting the line-up - exactly what i was looking for. dave in sf.

    ReplyDelete