In memory of Johnny Peret

In memory of Johnny Peret
In memory of my friend Johnny Peret, vibist, drummer, accordeonist extraordinaire

Thursday, March 1, 2012

RARITY #13: INNOVATION EN JAZZ 2


"Innovation en jazz N°2" 
Jacques Pelzer Modern Jazz  6tet
(Belgium, 1955)

Label : Innovations (B)   Serial number : ILP2

 This rare 10” was released in 1955 as part of the “Innovation en Jazz” series, a series sponsored by the department store “A l’Innovation”. 

Jacques Pelzer (1924-1994) was one of the most important figures in Belgian jazz history.
He was born in Liège and played the harmonica as a kid and switched to flute, alto & soprano saxophone later on.
In the late 1940s, he joined the legendary Bob Shots (lead by Bobby Jaspar), one of the very first (if not the first) groups in Europe to play be-bop. It’s at this time that Pelzer gets to know the music of Charlie Parker, who will remain one of his biggest influences.
In the 1950s, Pelzer became one of the leading jazzmen in Belgium, playing on the ‘Jazz For Moderns’ (Fiesta) and ‘Innovation en Jazz’ (Innovation) 10” records, as well as the ‘Jazz In Little Belgium’ 10” that was released for the ‘58 World Expo in Brussels.

 In the following decade, he plays with Chet Baker, one of his best friends, in the United States. It is through a connection of Chet Baker, that Jacques Pelzer records some sessions in Italy in the sixties: First an ep called ‘Amedeo Tommasi Trio presents Jacques Pelzer’ (1960 - Jazz In Italy vol. 10) and later an lp with a quartet under his own name: ‘Jacques Pelzer Quartet ft. Dino Piana (Jazz in Italy vol. 13 - reissued in 2009 by Rearward-Schema).


In the 1970s, he recorded two live lp’s: one with the legendary jazz fusion group ‘Open Sky Unit’ (with his cousin Steve Houben on sax and his daughter Micheline Pelzer on drums), and one with the Jacques & Micheline Pelzer Quartet. Both records were released on a tiny label called Duchesne and are now really rare collector’s items.

TRACKS
Side A
1. Barbados
2. Gone with the wind
3. Embraceable you
4. Motion (*)

Side B
1. There'll never be another you (*)
2. lover man (*)
3. Stella by starlight (*)
4. Whose Blues (*)






Recording date, location & personnel:
May 18, 1955 - Leon Demol Studios, Brussel, Belgium

JACQUES PELZER MODERN JAZZ SEXTET
Pelzer Jacques (alto sax)
Sandy Herman (trumpet)
Thomas Rene (guitar)  (*)
Fanis Jean (piano)
Dubois Paul (bass)
Frankel Rudy (drums)

RE-UP - 26/08/2017

19 comments:

  1. Original 10" ripped and cleaned by the great Paul D.


    http://www.mediafire.com/?6d6u4c3yfxyyonc

    ReplyDelete
  2. many many thanks for this rarity

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dicovered your blog some (few) weeks ago.

    I want to thank you - all this rare and wonderful music - Wow!

    Especially those from Belgium!
    Is there a reason why you have posted the Brussels Art Quartet and the Free Form Sextet only in mp3 - if I may ask?

    However - thanks again for your generosity - Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry - my appreciation goes to Paul D. as well, off course!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for your appreciation onxidlib.
    The reason we posted the Free Form Sextet and BAQ in mp3 is that they were the first rips we did. We had not mastered all the technicalities yet., But note that the overall sound quality of these EP is not great, I'm not sure that posting in FLAC or WAV would improve them in any significant way. Anyway I'll give it a try but later as I am currently abroad.
    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  6. By the way, if there is anything you'd like me to re-post, let me know. I'm planning to re-post the two Charlie Mariano LP in a couple of days. I concentrate on the LP first. The rest is " a la demande".

    ReplyDelete
  7. Maybe you're right concerning mp3 - yet I had just recently another experience.
    Through trading I got Rolf Kühn's "Re:Union" on CBS (long OOP).
    My wife and me were listening to the copy...after the second or third track I had the feeling that something was wrong with the music/sound.
    My wife believed the 'meagre' sound would come from the not so good condition of the LP...
    When the music came to its end I "threw" the CD onto my PC - after analysing the files I realised that it was 'only' mp3 - so I believe it is possible to tell the difference.

    A re-posting of the Bent Jaedig Trio – Sizzlin’ - that would be fine!
    I know Jaedig only from some 60s recordings.

    BTW: please mail me through my blogger profile - maybe I have something you might like.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OK I'll re-post Bent Jaedig Trio tomorrow(look in the comments of original post). However I only have a mp3 rip (256 k) on my hard drive. Can't do better now, the CD is in Brussels and i'm a few thousand miles away. Cheers

      Delete
  8. Looking forward to hear "Sizzlin'" - good night for now.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Many thanks, Paul D and Boogieman. A privilege to be able to hear these rare recordings. Some Rene Thomas in there too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Big respect to Paul D and Boogieman. Finally hearing these sessions. Many thanks

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, I only had Lover Man & Whose Blues. Now more tracks with my hero René Thomas are welcomed! Thanks a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Woow! thank you very much Paul D and Boogieman for this rare LP with René!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you for this album.J'ai souvent rencontré ces artistes dans les club de Jazz à Liege. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hello! Huge Rene Thomas fan and guitar nerd here. Could you please reupload this rarity, the links are dead!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks for reviving this really rare link of vintage bebop!

    ReplyDelete
  17. ...and you know, Pelzer is really pretty damn good. Liquid phrasing, good grasp of the bebop idiom--he's easily the best, here, at that--and he sounds like he put in some time listening to Parker, without becoming an imitator. I only wish the numbers had been longer, so we had longer solos, but it's great vintage bop, and that's fine for me. Once again, thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  18. NEW LINK :
    https://www.mediafire.com/file/b3z84ej9111mi2g/INNOVATIONS%20IN%20JAZZ%20-%202.rar

    ReplyDelete