In memory of Johnny Peret

In memory of Johnny Peret
In memory of my friend Johnny Peret, vibist, drummer, accordeonist extraordinaire

Friday, December 10, 2010

SIZZLIN' SCANDINAVIANS

On the menu today? A plate of Sizzlin’ Scandinavian Jazz by a major figure of Danish Jazz! 


A few years ago I found this CD in a cut-rate bin.  Straight ahead tenor / bass / drums trio.  The real test for a sax player, no room for mistakes.  And believe me, Bent Jaedig passes the test with all honors. Listen for instance to the beautiful Ballad for Brew (i.e. Brew Moore who resided and recorded in Denmark during most of the Sixties, untill his untimely death in 73). 

I was not familiar with his name at the time but the CD only costed 50 BF (€ 1.25) so I took a chance and did not regret it. I started checking the list of players on various albums recorded in Scandiavia and realised Bent Jaedig was a major player on the Danish jazz scene.  I especially like his contribution to the album Sahib Shihab and the Danish Radio Jazz Group (reissued on OKTAV and currently available  - highly recommended.  Ask Santa to get you one for Xmas if you don't own a copy yet). 


Bent Jaedig Trio – Sizzlin’  (1996)

Track Listing:
  1.       Sizzlin'                                         4:26
  2.       Ballad for Brew                              8:08
  3.       Manifiesta                                     4:17
  4.       One for Goof                                  4:04
  5.       The Red Lightning                          5:06
  6.       The Strooch                                   4:46
  7.       Atlicity                                          5:59
  8.       Cospolition                                    4:30


Credits
Bent Jaedig                                   Sax (Tenor)
Jesper Lundgaard                                   Bass
Bjarne Rostvold                                   Drums

Size : 73 MB

Ripped from my original CD (256). Currently OOP as far as I know.

UPDATED LINK in comments (19/07/2017).

7 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thank you
    scandinavian jazz is always interesting to hear

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great - just downloaded it - I shall return after my first listen...

    ReplyDelete
  5. After listening (finally...) two times I would like to thank you again. I'm glad to hear more recent work from Bent Jaedig. His is a strong voice - Recommended!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just discovered your blog, courtesy of a comment elsewhere. When I saw reference to Bent Jaedig on the front page, I hustled over to this post. I've never heard him as a leader. As onxidlib said, he's a strong player, so I'm very interested to hear this. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. NEW RIP (WAV) & NEW LINK:
    https://www.mediafire.com/?t46rc84md0cn7lq

    ReplyDelete