In memory of Johnny Peret

In memory of Johnny Peret
In memory of my friend Johnny Peret, vibist, drummer, accordeonist extraordinaire

Sunday, December 12, 2010

RARITY # 1 – THE BRUSSELS ART QUINTET (1969)

From "Discography of Belgian Jazz" - Robert Pernet, 1999.


This obscure 45 rpm was requested by Hoochie Coochie Man in the comments on BNO, below.  Pretty rare record, I daresay! It is the only recording by the “Brussels Art Quintet” and as such it documents an interesting period in Belgian Jazz, bringing together three “names”: guitarist Daniel Schellekens (better known as Daniel Schell), before setting up Cos, tenor-sax Babs Robert, before his recording of Babs Robert & the Love Planet, and drummer Robert Pernet who will later hold the drum kit in both Cos and Babs Robert Quartet.  I wish to thank my friend Paul D, who has the original record in his extensive collection, for sending me a rip of these two tracks and photos of the label.
Biographical details on those musicians could be found on the website Jazz in Belgium http://www.jazzinbelgium.com/home:


Now about the music: the two songs were composed by D. Schellekens and I found the overall result pretty inventive and even in advance.  I do hear shades of e.g. Where Fortune Smiles (McLaughlin, Surman, Karl Berger) -  perhaps because of the similitude in instrumentation (vibes-guitar-sax) but one must bear in mind that the Brussels Art Quintet recorded this 7" almost two years before Surman / Mc Laughlin 's more famous album.

For more info on Robert Pernet, check http://keepswinging.blogspot.com/2008/03/robert-pernet-de-muzikant.html

And thanks to Hoochie Coochie Man for sending the original cover!


















Link in comments (rip is 128kbps but OK)

18 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely!! really incredible to hear this, thought i never will, so many many thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. BTW. i have a cover image of this if you like to include it here..
    you can contact me through blogger :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Hoochie Coochie Man, yes, i'd like the cover. Didn't know there was one. These 7" were often sold in plain generic sleeves. Send me a link.
    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cover image:

    http://www.mediafire.com/?vk8f74785d43swy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fantastic! I remember having seen this one on Digger's Digest (at least I think so) yet I was not very optimistic to ever see it in blogland. Thanks a lot for posting, gonna give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Followed the trail over from HCM's place.
    Beautiful music, thanks

    ReplyDelete
  8. Superb - this is really excellent.Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  9. thanks for this — a brilliant share, much appreciated.
    thanks to Paul d too...
    all best

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi BoogieMan,

    I have a pretty extensive record collection myself but I've been too lazy to post music or links on blogs yet (shame on me ?)

    Reza's blog, and Bacoso's, and My Favourite Sound, Arkadin, Ile Oxumare, Quimsy's, Black Classical, Never Enough Rhodes, etc... have been blowing my mind and my ears for a few years now.

    Bravo for making the jump and doing your own thing and starting your own blog.

    Your list of upcoming jazz rarities from Belgium and France are quite teasing, and this one is truly some teaser !

    defstef (from Paris, France)

    ReplyDelete
  11. and let me take this opportunity to thank all the ones I've mentionned in the prior comment for the amazing music and musical/biog knowledge they've been posting for the last few years, I hope you'll be reading this, some people are enjoying tremendously it out there

    ReplyDelete
  12. Merci pour les encouragements Defstef. Pour les rips de LP il faudra attendre que je rentre en Belgique et pour le moment, il fait bcp trop froid! En attendant j'espere que tu prendras plaisir a ecouter mes rips de CD. Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  13. thank you very much. I'm happy to hear this very rare gem indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Merci beaucoup ! Que de découvertes et toujours des infos intéressantes . Thanks a lot Paul & Boogieman

    Peace

    ReplyDelete
  15. For a new link, see Rarity Series RE-Post (Feb 2012)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Many thanks for this rarity, Paul D!

    When a group from the 60s-70s has the word "Art" in its name, it usually means that it belongs to the free form movement, which is not my cup of tea. However, in this case, it never stops swinging, while at the same time being fresh and innovative and certainly not treading any hackneyed paths. Very intriguing little gem! One only wishes that there would have been a full LP...

    ReplyDelete