In memory of Johnny Peret

In memory of Johnny Peret
In memory of my friend Johnny Peret, vibist, drummer, accordeonist extraordinaire

Wednesday, April 25, 2012

PORC BINAIRE ROTI

Theo Jörgensmann Quartet featuring John Thomas
Go Ahead Clarinet
(CPM 4 ST, Germany, 1978)

 A not so common LP by clarinet virtuoso / free improviser Theodor Franz Jörgensmann.  I was not familiar with Jorgensmann's music when I found this LP last year in a second-hand books and records shop.
It did like the title "Porc Binaire Roti (Binary Roasted Pork).  I was pleasantly surprised by the quality of the playing.  The music is free but very listenable and even strangely compelling, it surely deserves repeated listening.  An added bonus is the presence of guitarist John Thomas, currently an Associate Professor at Berklee and author of  advanced jazz guitar books and tutorials. 
The album was recorded when Thomas was working in Europe in the late Seventies.

Tracks
Side A
A1. Porc Binaire Roti (Kube)
A2. Kissy Stays a Dream (Kube)

Side B
B1. I remember Out (Jorgensmann / Schaper)
B2. November (Lask)
B3. December 4th (Lask)

Credits
Theo Jorgensmann : clarinet, electric multipurpose clarinet
Uli P. Lask: tenor saxophone, soprano saxophone
(flute, basselhorn, piano,mellotron)
Kai Kanthak: bass
Dyonis Kube : drums (piano on A2)
John Thomas: guitar, electric guitar

9 comments:

  1. http://www.mediafire.com/?22mh8m76jp9cal4

    Comments welcome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for posting this. I have long enjoyed the work he did for Hatart but was not aware of this recording.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Real fine one - I have this LP and I can surely recommend it.
    Theo Jörgensmann is a great clarinetist and sadly not appreciated enough.
    And as the Boogieman says:"The music is free but very listenable and even strangely compelling".
    Nothing to add...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have one more offer for your blog.
    Two days ago I got an OOP CD from the airline company "Lufthansa" (sic!).
    It includes among other music three long OOP shellac EPs from:
    HANS KOLLER QUINTET "HANS KOLLER NEW JAZZ STARS"
    Hans Koller, tenor saxophone
    Albert Mangelsdorff, trombone
    Jutta Hipp, piano
    Shorty Roeder, bass
    Rudi Sehring, drums
    ...recorded in 1953.

    I wonder what other treasures may hide at similar unlikely "places".

    So if you would like to post them I shall send you the link - with a pictue of the group from this year, a picture of one label etc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. onxidlib you will graduate from follower to full contributor. I am certainly interested in this Lufthansa album. I flew thousand of miles with Lufthansa but never received any CD! Lucky you!
      And it is probably something that Paul D. does not have!!!
      Cheers

      Delete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello onxidlib,

      thanks, I have DL the album. Will post it in a few days as I'm going away for a long w.e.
      KE in Moscow is posted, re-uploading the link in mediafire. Cheers & have a good week end.

      Delete