In memory of Johnny Peret

In memory of Johnny Peret
In memory of my friend Johnny Peret, vibist, drummer, accordeonist extraordinaire

Sunday, May 29, 2011

JAZZ IN MOROCCO


ECHOES OF MAWAZINE (Rabat, Morocco)
This year saw the tenth edition of the Mawazine – Rhythm of the World Festival in Rabat (Morocco).
As usual an ambitious programming mixing big international names  (Kanye West, Shakira, Quincy Jones, Earth-Wind & Fire  …), African (Femi Kuti, Salif Keita, the Mahotella Queens, Papa Wemba …) and Middle-East big names, and some “classic-rock/has-beens" (Cat Stevens aka Yusuf Islam, Joe Cocker). All that mostly FREE!!
As a jazz fan, I went to see Joachim Kuhn who was playing with Gnaoua Master Majid Bekkas and his band, and Argentinian drummer Minino Garay.  Kuhn and Bekkas have already recorded a couple of CD together but I wasn’t convinced, I think the “fusion” did not occur.
Joachim Kuhn - Majid Bekkas, from : blog Afropop

Quincy Jones?  Too much World Music, too little jazz … sorry Quincy.
I missed the concert of Hindi Zahra, a talented singer but more “jazzy” than Jazz, in the Norah Jones, Madeleine Peyroux vein  spiced with Berber / oriental influences.
Read more about Mawazine HERE
Next month we’ll have Jazz at the Chellah with a.o. Portico Quartet I haven't seen them yet but my artistic daughter was very enthusiastic about this band so I'll give it a try.  In the wonderful setting of the Chellah this ethereal music should be quite magic! 

The Chellah in Rabat, wonderful setting for a jazz festival!

No comments:

Post a Comment