In memory of Johnny Peret

In memory of Johnny Peret
In memory of my friend Johnny Peret, vibist, drummer, accordeonist extraordinaire

Sunday, May 29, 2011

AND NOW SOMETHING COMPLETELY DIFFERENT

LURE OF DESERT - PT Vishwa Mohan Bhatt (India, 1994)


I do not like the term World Music which means anything that's not "Western". It's a typical "us" and "them" mindset.
I guess that for, say an Indian or an Ugandese, the Rolling Stones or Count Basie must sound like some kind of "World Music".. 


However, I do like traditional music (it used to be called "ethnic music" in the old days which was probably a much more accurate and neutral description). And I have a special liking for Indian music ... thanks to the Sixties and Ravi Shankar I assume.


Well, this here musician studied with Pt Ravi Shankar. 


I found this CD at Curepipe Market (Mauritius) about 10 years ago,  It's on an Indian label (pretty unusual as most CDs on the market were pirated copies). 


Pt Vishwa Mohan Bhatt is well-known in the West for his collaboration with Ry Cooder a.o. but I prefer him in a purely indian / tradional setting as is the case in this recording.
Two long ragas (over 20 minutes each) and three "shorter" tunes (well over 6 minutes each).


He his supported by Salil Bhatt (second guitar) and Sandeep Das (tabla).


Magic!


This is my first posting of Indian music, there will be some more, occasionnally.


Dedicated to my friend Pradip, wherever you may be!

4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Didier,
    Very interesting! However, is there anyway one can actually click and listen to the music? You have always been a great connoisseur of the world of Jazz and its musicians. We should all be grateful to have such an expert. You have kept the fire burning brightly in the world of Jazz even though its popularity is diminishing. Your comments on the world of music is very much appreciated. Last October I had the opportunity to visit southern Spain. I met up with Flamenco Gypsy musicians who are actually descendants from two nomadic tribes in northwestern Punjab and Rajasthan in India. Physically, most of them looked like us. I felt as if I were sitting in someone's house in the Punjab province. It was a fascinating stay in Spain. Their true Flamenco music is also almost all improvisation. The Flamenco for the tourists is totally different from the music of the real flamincistas(the Gitanos). Please let me know, if I can get to hear all the albums that you wrote and gave comments. It was a pleasure hearing from you. Mita wrote to you. Please keep in touch. With my warmest personal regards for you and the family. Pradip

    ReplyDelete
  3. Indian music with a guitar? Love to hear it. Thanks for your selection and recommendations.

    Feguillerme

    ReplyDelete