In memory of Johnny Peret

In memory of Johnny Peret
In memory of my friend Johnny Peret, vibist, drummer, accordeonist extraordinaire

Monday, April 18, 2011

RARITY #4 : IN MY CONDITION

THE SHAKE KEANE QUINTET - IN MY CONDITION
 (Lansdowne Jazz Series, UK, 1961 - 7" EP)



Last week Paul D. sent me this picture of an old EP by "a little known, long forgotten British trumpet / fluegelhorn player" , a present from the late Ed Dipple of Mole Records  "... would I be interested to post it on my blog? 
That came as a real surprise.  Let's go back in time... 1978, I joined the United Nations Volunteer (the UN equivalent of the Peace Corps) to work on an agricultural development project in the Eastern Caribbean.  I am posted on the island of St Vincent (which is still an "Associated State" (to UK) and not yet the independent nation of St Vincent & the Grenadines). 
At that time, Shake Keane was living in St Vincent, writing poetry, helping aspiring musicians, writing arrangements for local soca bands and playing his horn every Tuesday night at the Aquatic Club, in Villa Bay.  I became a regular and eventually got to meet Shake Keane thru' a mutual friend, the late writer, poet and critic Travers Phillips. I remember chatting with him at a party at Philip Nanton's place in Ratho Mill. A gentle giant sipping scotch and talking quietly. I wasn't much aware of Keane's body of work, his seminal recordings with Joe Harriott had been long out of print.  I knew his name from his membership in the Clarke Boland Big Band.  Actually I am not sure Shake had copies of these recordings, the only album i remember seeing in his house was a battered copy of a Kurt Edelhagen dance album.




The SHAKE KEANE QUINTET (1961)
Shake Keane, trumpet & flugel horn
Joe Harriott, alto sax
Pat Smythe: piano
Coleridge Goode : bass
Tommy Jones : drums















Watch Shake Keane live with Kurt Edelhagen Big Band (also featuring Wilton Gaynar and Derek Humble) :



Recommended reading:
On Shake Keane's music :http://nightofthelivingvinyl.blogspot.com/2011/03/shake-keane.html
On his poetryhttp://www.caribbeanstudies.org.uk/papers/2000/olv1p2.pdf
You'll find poetry by Shake Keane, Travers Phillips and other Vincy poets in this anthology, available here.

UPDATED LINK (04/07/2017)  with thanks to Ernst. 

25 comments:

  1. Lossless (WAV), excellent sound quality.
    Say a big thanks to Paul D.

    SHAKE KEANE.rar (43.32 MB) http://www.multiupload.com/PBU1M13KV3

    Comments welcome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a real eureka! kind of offering. Any rare Keane—and especially any rare Harriott—is a cause for celebration. This is brilliant stuff and I am deeply grateful. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My thanks border to rabies.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow!!...which is a bit of an understatement. A rarity indeed. Big thanks to Paul D and thanks for posting...Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  5. thanks!!!! love me some Joe Harriott

    ReplyDelete
  6. Listening to Michael Garrick's Poetry & Jazz at the moment, also with Joe Harriott so your post is a welcome bonus. Thanks to you and Paul D.!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the Keane ... Baron

    ReplyDelete
  8. RE: THE SHAKE KEANE QUINTET - IN MY CONDITION

    Boogieman and Paul D., many thanks for sharing this rarity!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wonderful, and a great companion to Harriott's 'Southern Horizons' LP. Many thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Many thanks to all for this great rarity and in such good sound too.
    As far as I can tell this has never been re-issued in any format.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Shake Keane - All of the above comments are echoed, thanks very much to Boogieman and Paul D. A real rarity, I didn't even know of its existence. And it has Tommy Jones on drums, he gigged around quite a lot at this time and even recorded with Humph just at the time that the Lyttelton band was emerging into the mainstream. Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wonderful post - thank you. May I ask if it would be okay for us to post on our blog when the time is right (next year)? Would credit Paul and this blog of course.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi BritJazz,
    I'm a fan of your blog. Feel free to re-post when you deem it convenient (I assume your policy is the 50 years copyright period?).
    Cheers
    Boogieman

    ReplyDelete
  14. Re Shake Keane: He was just a vague name for me - now I have heard him: I am simply stunned by this EP ! Thank you very kindly - much appreciated, indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  15. HI Boogieman
    I came back to have a look around your place (we were a bit preoccupied last April) and discovered this gem. Looking forward to hearing this rare album!
    all best!

    ReplyDelete
  16. PS all the Rarity Series has been re-posted.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I realise I hadn't say THANK YOU Paul D and Boogieman.
    Just re-listened to this real gem.
    Someone should issue the recordings of the Edelhagen TV production from 1966 - but it's quite unlikely...hope never vanishes.
    Thanks again to both of you!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Many thanks for this rare gem, Paul D. and boogieman! "Only" an EP, but it is really great with strong compositions and playing. Shake Keane is fine enough, but the real revelation here for me was Joe Harriott. He must have been one of the most interesting alto saxophonists around at that time - and then I am including the US ones. I must listen to more by him!

    Another thumbs up for the superb transfer and scans!

    By the way, when checking the discography, I noticed that Shake Keane made another Columbia EP the year after, called "Bossa Negra". Does anyone have that?

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hello boogieman, I hope I can make a small request. I am not a long time follower here, but I was wondering if you have the email for BritJazz, so I can send a request for an invitation. I use to visit/comment there often anonymously as I rarely use blogger, and it was about the only music blog I loved to browse since "retiring" mostly from the scene. I was away for quite a while and recently discovered it wasn't public anymore.

    I remembered some references to stuff you contributed which is why I figured you might know. Unfortunately I did not save any contact info when it was public, and the profile doesn't say..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Winterstatic,
      I have forwarded your request to BritJazz, I assume you'll hear from them soon.
      Cheers

      Delete
    2. I did, and got an invite, thank you so much boogieman! I didn't expect such a quick result, best of luck to you and thank you so much for taking the time : )

      Delete
  20. I would LOVE to see a post of Michael Garrick's Poetry and Jazz!!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Listening to this again after many years. I'd forgotten just how good these guys were. Thanks for putting this back into my ears.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hope you don't mind, but I'll try to give a little push.
    1fichier

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ernst. Much appreciated. I'll be back soon.

      Delete