In memory of Johnny Peret

In memory of Johnny Peret
In memory of my friend Johnny Peret, vibist, drummer, accordeonist extraordinaire

Saturday, December 1, 2012

RARITY # 31


JO JAGUAR, SON PIANO, SON TRIO
Extended Play (EPL 7.251), VOGUE, FRANCE (1956)


Eh voici, Mesdames zé Messieurs THE RAREST OF THE RAREST !!! celui que vous attendiez tous, celui qui vous fait saliver depuis tant d'années, voici le grand, le seul, l'unique, l'incontournable, l'inoubliable, voici, Mesdames zé Messieurs, le voici, le voila, « Black Denim Trousers and Motorcycle Boots » mieux connu en francais comme "L' homme à la moto" avec ses culottes, ses bottes de moto, son blouson de cuir noir avec un aigle sur le dos.  Sa moto qui filait comme un boulet de canon, semait la terreur dans toute la région.

This is what an enthusiastic Paul D. wrote me a couple of weeks ago after finding this extremely rare Martial Solal EP, one of a series of three, recorded for the French VOGUE label in 1956.  Of the three EP (extended play), this one is the more sought after as it contains a version of Leiber & Stoller’s « Black Denim Trousers and Motorcycle Boots » which was a big hit in France for EDITH PIAF as “L’Homme a la Moto”.

Do not expect the type of advanced jazz Solal is known for, this is earlier stuff in a more popular / cocktail jazz style.  Nevertheless it is an historical document in the long career of one of Jazz greatest pianists. 











Credits:

Martial Solal (as Jo Jaguar) Piano
René Duchaussoir (gt), Pierre Michelot (b), Christian Garros (dm).
Recorded in Paris, on 30th mai 1956.

Tracks
1. L’Homme a la Moto (Black Denim Trousers & Motorcycle Boots)
2. Une Dame
3. Soudain une Vallee
4. Alors Raconte
5. Adieu Lisbonne
6. Personne au Monde

Two other EP were recorded around the same period.  The three EP had been compiled on a 10” LP (25 cm) which is even rarer than the EP.  If anyone has any of the two remaining EP, we’d love to hear a rip’







14 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Je vous en remercie beaucoup pour cette curiosité!
    Merci encore une fois a Paul D et le Boogieman.

    Really curious about Solal's way to serve a cocktail...am I the only one who decides to sip from this delicious drink?

    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks onxidlib. I am somewhat disappointed that such a rare record, documenting the formative period of one of Europe's most innovative and original pianists, generates so little interest. Considering the time and effort invested in ripping and cleaning the record, one could wonder whether it was worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks once again, guys! It seems these recordings were not included in the 4-CD boxset "Complete Vogue Recordings" which makes me wonder why it is called "complete"...

    ReplyDelete
  5. thanks for sharing this hidden solal, can't wait to hear it

    ReplyDelete
  6. Boogieman-I'm in a quandary about how little interest this has generated as well. I guess the commenters are the connoisseurs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That makes 5 of us (6 including Paul D. who's the owner of this rare artefact).

      Delete
  7. NEW LINK:
    http://www33.zippyshare.com/v/43645425/file.html

    (and, hopefully, a few more comments on this very rare record. These early Solal sides have never been documented on CD to the best of my knowledge.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Even though the link has expired, I'll take this opportunity to thank you:

    Thanks bigtime for such a diverse treasure trove of music! Additional thanks for so much of it being in lossless format!

    In the mid 70s I had a second job working in a hip record store (St. Louis, MO) that plundered warehouses and such collections of bins and boxes to resell OOP and other rarities and that was a distribution house for small labels. I was paid in LPs. The manager and I competed/cooperated to have huge diverse collections, mostly of jazz, in our abodes. (I remember having to move the collection to another wall because it was cracking the floor/support.) And yet I never saw nor even heard of so many of the records and artists that you have posted. You've opened open a huge new world for me(us). Thanks!

    Additional thanks for your explorations, obtainings, and sharings with such as me who would like to also do that but now my profession and Family have so filled my time, energy, and priorities that I can't thumb through the bins anymore (as fun as that was).

    As I plow through your trove, harvesting ("quick! get it before the links expire!") I imagine being you, the satisfactions and disappointments. This particular recording is a case in point: Such a rare find. Cleaned up. Posted. And yet far far less appreciation than you expected.

    While I don't encourage martyrdom, I, and I'm sure many many others who haven't spoken up, appreciate your wide-ranging, thorough, and generous heroic work, even if it seems too often "unsung".

    Many thanks!



    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you Silwit, comments like yours are a real encouragement. The task is even complicated by the fact that I am currently working and Morocco and my record collection is in Belgium! Still have a lot of records to rip during my next vacation. Luckily the blog is a collaborative effort, onxidib in Germany, Paul D in Belgium and many others (El Reza, Arkadin ...) are a major source of rarities. You know how it is once one has been bitten by the music bug. It happened to me around 1965, fiddling with a small transistor radio at night I heard this strange music that din't ressemble anything i had ever heard... it was Lightin' Hopkins and the next track was by Wes Montgomery. I was bitten, thanks to American Forces Radio ...
    I shall re-post the link in a few days when i'll have access to the hard drive with the music.
    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  10. NEW LINK: http://www.mirrorcreator.com/files/15FPO0II/1067JO_JAG.rar_links

    ReplyDelete
  11. Allow me to add my voice to the general appreciation of what your site offers and to apologise if some of us seem indifferent. I'm not though I'm undeniably lazy. Though I too am of the ""quick! get it before the links expire!" school, my visits here have been an education as well as a fun journey, with some super music and great graphics. You, not to mention the magnificent onxidlib, are helping to chronicle and archive an age that will not return. Such an effort is NOT in vain even if it does sometimes seem to get a bit lonely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dave, you're welcome. It's not as lonely as it may seems, i have met - virtually - quite a few people thru' this blog, all with the same passion. Comments like yours are an encouragement to continue posting. Cheers.

      Delete