In memory of Johnny Peret

In memory of Johnny Peret
In memory of my friend Johnny Peret, vibist, drummer, accordeonist extraordinaire

Thursday, June 7, 2012

LORRE

ERROL PARKER
(original BRUNSWICK LP # 87914, FRANCE, 1963)

I always wondered why there is so little Raph Schecroun / Errol Parker posted in the blogworld.
There are many reasons probably.  First of all he was never that well-known outside of France. His earlier recordings as a bop-influenced pianist (and organist) under his real name of Raph Schecroun or as Errol Parker have often been overlooked and rarely re-issued. 

The albums he recorded during his second incarnation, as a bandleader / drummer mostly, on his own Sahara label in the US - are perhaps better-known in the small world of adventurous jazz aficionados.  These albums are often better known because of the participation of "names" - or future "names" as they weren't all that well-known at the time (Robin Eubanks, Wallace Roney, Donald Harrison, Steve Coleman, Graham Haynes, Philip Harper, Byard Lancaster, and Jimmy Owens, among others).

Most of the Sahara catalogue - if not all - has been re-issued on CD but is still pretty hard to find.
It is a shame because the two incarnations of Errol Parker are worth listening too.

It is hard to believe that it is the same musician who recorded this album and the one I posted a few months ago (A Night in Tunisia). 



For details of his life and career you can read this obituary published in LIBERATION (in french) or this article in english.
Or, even better provided that you can find a copy, read his autobiography A Flat Tire On My Ass, the Autobiography of Errol Parker also available in french as De bohème en galère : les pérégrinations d'un musicien de jazz à New York, Éditons Filipacchi, 1996.


 The album posted today is probably his most famous album, it contains the track LORRE which was a huge commercial hit. 













Tracklist:  lorre / goody goody / unison / I only have eyes for you / old folks / up and down b side three blind mice / stella by starlight / blue afternoon / I cover the waterfront / satin doll / pick up yoursel



Recorded in Paris May 9 & 10th 1963 with Georges LUCA bass and Kansas FIELDS drums.


Ripped and cleaned by Paul D.  WAV files.  So you know you can expect superb sound quality!
Don't forget to thank him, ripping and cleaning old scratchy LP is a labour of love.


I may post in the near future this other rare ERROL PARKER album that I found last year in a souk in Morocco. 
It still needs a good cleaning though.



32 comments:

  1. SIDE A : http://www.mirrorcreator.com/files/1GEDLW7H/RSakaEPBruns_sideA.zip_links
    OR
    http://mir.cr/1GEDLW7H

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a surprise for me. I only knew his name and I didn't knew that he made music before his time as a drummer - not even heard any music from him at all.
    And now I can start from the beginning when he was a pianist - aleady downloading Side A...

    Thank you Paul D and Boogieman for your education - appreciated!

    One question remains - why there's no option for rapidshare anymore?
    However - THANK YOU BOTH.

    ReplyDelete
  3. SIDE B : http://www.mirrorcreator.com/files/KZEE5M9C/RSakaEPBruns_sideB.zip_links
    OR
    http://mir.cr/KZEE5M9C

    ReplyDelete
  4. SCANS:
    http://mir.cr/KZEE5M9C
    OR
    http://mir.cr/0TQIXUNK

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for the B side as well.
    The first link for the scans is the short link for side B.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is really an astonishing share. I agree that it is bewildering how little Errol Parker is available on the blogs. I've never seen this and am thrilled to have it. Many thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Friendly note: Track #1 appears to be missing. I DL'd side A from two different hosts and both versions are missing "Lorre."

    ReplyDelete
  8. OOps! My fault, I forgot Lorre whwn I compressed the file.
    That's what happens when one works too late ...

    HERE IS TRACK 1 - LORRE: http://www.mirrorcreator.com/files/P31MSTCS/01_Lorre.wav_links
    OR
    http://mir.cr/P31MSTCS

    onxidlib: to answer your question about Rapidshare: RS link can only be used if i have a user account, which i don't.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All links on this track are dead. For the other tracks, only Deposit files work. Could you repost "Lorre" only?

      Merci bien pour cette musique tellement rare.

      Delete
    2. Voila LORRE.
      http://www.mediafire.com/?ydlo0ozvgpb6c1g

      Bonne écoute!

      Delete
  9. Boogieman: The reason I asked was that the post for THE BIG BELGIAN BAND had a link for Rapidshare provided by Mirrorcreator. I assumed it's a matter of choice. But never mind there's at least one hoster who works good enough for me.
    Again - thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep but Mirrorcreator changed the rules recently and RS is no longer a free provider.
      Enjoy the music, cheers

      Delete
    2. Pity - I would like to have tried this album out but I find this Mirrorcreator a nightmare to navigate. I keep getting things blocked by my AV as dangerous but if not they turn out to be advertising. My settings no doubt - I get similar with Mediafire. Ah well, cheerio.

      Delete
    3. Sorry to hear that it does not work for you, yewsta. Unfortunatly the offer for freesharing platforms has dwindled and i reckon that ads are a nuisance but they pay for the free service. If you have a program to block pop-ups and a good AV, you shouldna have problems. Just be careful when you navigate to download the album and not some unwanted crap as these sites do everything they can to get you to DL unwanted stuff.

      Delete
  10. Thanks, BM, for the advice. I've just about given up now but maybe I'll try again sometime to see if anything has changed. It's the way things are now.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, thanks so much for the title track. I am huge Parker appreciator and really cherish having this record.

    @yewsta: I find the Zippyshare option via Mirrorcreator to work quite reasonably.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Hodges. Thanks but I've tried Zippy and got much the same result - dire warnings about continuing and no visible option to download anything except junk. I tried some of the others too, not wanting to give up too easily, but no luck.

      However, a very kind friend has offered to upload elsewhere for me. I hesitate to accept because I have little idea whether the music will suit me yet but as he has converted to 320, maybe it wouldn't be too much to ask.

      Given a choice I go for Rapidshare but that is because I subscribe there - not nearly as good as it used to be for non-payers it appears. From what I read though, at least it does seem reliable.

      I hope to return in due course and say how I got on with the music!

      Delete
  12. Can someone be so kind and upload the 2LP record "Monsieur Erik Satie" posted here under Strollin' thru' the souks a while back? Many thanks for an excellent choice of music to all the contributors on this excellent blog, I visit often and always find something of great interest.

    Take care,
    Izzy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Izzy, I haven't got a chance to rip that Erik Satie 2 LP box. I took it back to Brussels hoping to rip it during my holidays but did not have the time. Next holiday perhaps.

      Delete
  13. Got it via kind friend I'm happy to say. Thank you very much, Paul D and Boogieman. Something of a change for me stylistically but none the less enjoyable for that. A magnificent job on the clean up, Id say.

    ReplyDelete
  14. After listening to the music twice I wonder why his early recordings are not more famous.
    Excellent music and the sound is superb. And "Lorre" is certainly a hit. Merci beaucoup!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Bonjour boogieman,

    I lost my morning's message, I said that Mirrorcreator seems to be definitely fired from the scene !
    I've been trying with firefox and IE both. No answer at all !

    As a longtime chouckroun aficionado, I bitterly regret no to hear his trio which is no doubt a precious touchstone in his developpment..and I've missed it !!! Cruel world !
    If you see what I mean.......

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bonjour Bhowani,

      j'ai verifie mais Mirrorcreator fonctionne normalement.

      Did anybody else experience problems with Mirrorcreator?

      Delete
  16. Bonjour Boogieman,
    I have some sahara lps, but haven't heard them for years by lack of good material.
    Thanks for the info on his book !

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks for the answer I'm trying again
    but still, this morning I get only this always and always :
    "Adresse introuvable : Firefox ne peut trouver le serveur à l'adresse www.mirrorcreator.com......" unusual and bizarre !

    ReplyDelete
  18. I've tried mirrorcreator this morning and it worked quite fine.

    ReplyDelete
  19. ok I've asked a friend of mine to try...

    we are both living in Paris,

    fingers crossed

    ReplyDelete
  20. NEW LINK:
    http://www.mirrorcreator.com/files/1H69VOE8/0878LORRE-01.rar_links
    http://www.mirrorcreator.com/files/VZCDUCHP/0878LORRE-02.rar_links

    ReplyDelete
  21. listening to it again ! a dam good swing and groove under his fingers !!a good challenge for a blindfold test ! somekind of an erroll (!) garner in the way he plays (stella by starlight), I've said somekind of....
    wonderful technical job done by Paul !

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thanks a lot for this ...Happy new year.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Always enjoyed Errol Parker. Read his autobiography and it was quite humorous, to say the least. Thanks boogieman for the new links.

    ReplyDelete