In memory of Johnny Peret

In memory of Johnny Peret
In memory of my friend Johnny Peret, vibist, drummer, accordeonist extraordinaire

Thursday, February 14, 2013

BALZWALTZ


MALLET CONNECTION – BALZWALTZ
LP Sandra SMP2103 – Germany, 1979


For once a German Jazz record that does not come from onxidlib’s vault ! I found this LP during my recent visit to Brussels which yielded also the Steve Bauer Orchestra, the Charles Davis Super80 LP and a few other albums of interest that I’ll post in the near future.  I wasn’t familiar with the band but recognized at least one familiar name: Wolfgang Engstfeld whom I knew in relation to Michel Herr, and from the band CHANGES’.  Actually Mallet Connection has the same line-up as the CHANGESHome Again LP (1979 also) with the added bonus of vibraphonist Wolfgang Lackerschmid and saxophonist Christof Lauer.


The track Samba di Commerce appears also on the Changes' Home Again LP.

This is top-notch German Jazz!

Recorded in December 1978 in Stuttgart, mixed and released in 1979.

Tracks
A1 Samba Di Commerce 8:32
Composed By – Wolfgang Engstfeld
A2 Waiting 6:30
Composed By – Ed Kröger
A3 Balzwaltz 8:21
Composed By – Wolfgang Lackerschmid
B1 Springtanz 11:48
Composed By – Ed Kröger
B2 Anika 7:48
Composed By – Wolfgang Engstfeld


Credits
Saxophone – Christof Lauer, Wolfgang Engstfeld
Vibraphone, Marimba – Wolfgang Lackerschmid
Piano – Ed Kröger
Bass – Peter Bockius
Drums – Peter Weiss


If you like this album, try and find the CHANGES “Home Again” album.  It has been seen floating around in the blogsphere.  Highly recommended!

And a word of thanks to the guys at the Growing Bin who got me interested in German Jazz of the 70/early 80s by posting many interesting and rare albums.

5 comments:

  1. http://www35.zippyshare.com/v/66080333/file.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really nice to see this one posted, I was listening to it just some days ago, and back in the days I thought about posting it on my blog - no idea why I didn't, Samba Di Commerce would have been reason enough, quite a killer track, I prefer it to the version on the Changes-album. Btw Wolfgang Lackerschmid recorded an album called "Mallet Connection" around the same time (a year earlier I think) in Stuttgart (with Herbert Joos and Leszek Zadlo), but I think it's still available as CD or download. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete